MEET THE PASTOR
Dwight and Tammy Jones have served as Pastors at Harvest Christian Centre for over 25 years. Dwight has recently become an author with the release of his first book, "The Judas Factor"
DWIGHT & TAMMY JONES
MEET THE STAFF
ASSOCIATE PASTORS GEORGE & NANCY DECLUE
Harvest Christian Centre's Associate Pastors George and Nancy Declue have been pastoring for over 30 years. With a shepherds heart and a servants demeanor, they labor inside the body of Harvest with complete faithfulness. They serve in so many ways including pastoral care, visiting shut ins and more.
OFFICE MANAGER DONNA CROCKER
Donna is the Office Manager here at Harvest. After serving at Harvest for over 20 years, she is still a constant example of how to walk blamelessly in service to God. With true character and attention to detail she handles the finances and daily office administration.
CALEDONIA CAMPUS PASTORS DALE & LORI STRINGER
For nearly 10 years, Dale and Lori have served Harvest, teaching and building a dynamic team of leaders. Serving as kids pastors for Harvest they have recently become our new Campus Pastors in Caledonia. Dale is a John Maxwell certified Leadership Speaker, Trainer, & Coach. This new roll allows him to help everyone achieve greatness no matter what level people are on.
COLLEGE & CAREER / WORSHIP PASTORS CORY & HEATHER THOMURE
In a time where singing songs is considered worship, Cory and Heather Thomure are challenging the normal. With deep and passionate worship they are leading the way into God's presence. They also serve as our pastors to the college and career aged students. Every Wednesday @7pm, they disciple and teach the next generation; preparing them for the future.
STUDENT PASTORS JEREMY & AMY JONES
Jeremy and Amy serve students from 8th grade to 12th grade in Element Youth Ministry. They are passionate for your student and your family. They have volunteered in kids ministry and youth ministry for over 10 years at Harvest. They would love to sit down with you and talk about how to get a student connected.
JUNIOR HIGH PASTORS JAKE & APRIL MARTIN
Jake and April Martin have served the church for years. They actively serve students within Amp'd, the Harvest junior high ministry each week. Amp'd has monthly events and services on Wednesdays at 7pm.
CHILDREN'S PASTORS JOE & REBECCA HUGHES
Joe and Rebecca are the new Livewire Kids pastors. They lead a dynamic team of people each week ministering to our kids. With skits, puppets and great worship, kids will enjoy each week in Live Wire. They would love to talk to you about getting your child involved.
MISSIONS DIRECTORS JIM & SUE LANHAM
Few people have an excitement for missions like Jim and Sue Lanham. Having been in the Navy for years traveling the world they have the vision and scope that few do when it comes to foreign missions. Jim and Sue would love to talk to you about how you can get your family involved in missions. Going on a domestic or foreign missions trip, sending missionaries financially. See what God can do through you.
MEDIA DIRECTOR SHAUN REED
Shaun is our Media director handling all the churches needs with excellence and detail. As you talk to Shaun you will sense right away that there is a genuine desire to see what God is doing in Harvest delivered to the world. He not only handles our media outreach but also our audio tech needs within the church.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
The following is a shortened version of the Assembly of God's 16 Fundamental Truths
1. The Bible is inspired by God and is "the infallible, authoritative rule of faith and conduct".
2. There is only one true God who exists as a Trinity.
3. Jesus Christ is the Son of God and, as the second person of the Trinity, is God.
4. Man was created good by God but was separated from God through original sin.
5. Salvation "is received through repentance toward God and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ".
6. There are two ordinances. Believer's baptism by immersion is a declaration to the world of the believer's faith in Christ. The Lord's Supper is a symbolic remembrance of Christ's suffering and death.
7. Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a separate and subsequent experience following conversion. Spirit baptism brings empowerment to live an overcoming Christian life and to be an effective witness.
8. Speaking in tongues is the initial physical evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit.
9. Sanctification is "an act of separation from that which is evil, and of dedication unto God". It occurs when the believer identifies with, and has faith in, Christ in his death and resurrection. It is understood to be a process in that it requires continual yielding to the Holy Spirit.
10. The Church's mission is to seek and save all who are lost in sin; the Church is the Body of Christ and consists of all people who accept Christ, regardless of Christian denomination. Divinely called and scripturally ordained ministers serve the Church.
11. The Church is the Body of Christ, the habitation of God through the Spirit, with divine appointments for the fulfillment of her great commission. Each believer, born of the Spirit, is an integral part of the General Assembly and Church of the Firstborn, which are written in heaven
12. Divine healing of the sick is provided for in the atonement.
13. The "imminent and blessed hope" of the Church is its rapture preceding the bodily return of Christ to earth.
14. The rapture of the Church will be followed by the visible return of Christ and his reign on earth for a thousand years.
15. There will be a final judgment and eternal damnation for the "wicked dead".
16. There will be future new heavens and a new earth "wherein dwelleth righteousness".
THE HISTORY OF HARVEST CHRISTIAN CENTRE
At the end of the nineteenth century, The St. Joe Lead Company sank shaft and began mining lead in the center of St. Francois County, close to what is now Flat River Creek. As miners began to move near the mines for work, small communities sprang up near the shafts. These early communities were little more than a group of shacks that housed the miners. These communities were not named but were numbered: Four town, Six town, Nine town, etc. In 1901 a community was incorporated near several of the numbered towns. It was at this time that the community of Elvins began. Elvins was definitely a boomtown created by the lead mines. Within a few years, the town’s population grew to over 3,000. Stores of all kind sprang up and a downtown business district was quickly created. As people moved in they brought with them their love for God and churches were built. The Methodist Church and the Baptist Church were among the first to be built in Elvins. In the fall of 1922, Charles Roscoe Jones moved his family to Elvins from their home in Essex, Missouri and soon was hired to work for St. Joe. After obtaining employment, God gave Brother Jones a burden to see a full gospel church built in Elvins. The Pentecostal message had been brought to St. Francois County through a series of tent revivals in 1922. Among the first to hold Pentecostal revivals in this area were Sister Dollie Huffman (Heady), Brother Powtan Huffman and Brother K. H. Lawson. It is not known whether Brother Jones attended any of these tent revivals, but in March of 1923 he started a little Pentecostal Church in Elvins. Several full gospel churches began in St. Francois County in the years that followed those early tent revivals. Many believe that the church that Brother Jones started was the first full gospel church in the county, although that is disputed by at least one other full gospel church in the area.
In 1924 in the month of May, Fred Jackson moved his family to Elvins from Essex, MO. He too was soon employed by St. Joe Lead Company and also had a burden to establish a full gospel church in the area. Brother Jackson and his family started attending the church started by Brother Jones and soon began assisting him in the services. St. Joe was in full swing of its mining operations and had shifts working seven days a week. If Brother Jones had to miss a service due to work, Brother Jackson would preach. If Brother Jackson had to work on Sunday, then Brother Jones would preach. There was a big difference in their heights and due to that they were often referred to as Mutt and Jeff. Brothers Jones and Jackson built the first church building on Ethel Street in Elvins. This first building was a slab type building with a flat roof, had sawdust floors and seats that were made from boards placed over blocks of wood. In 1924 the old slab building was torn down to make room for a newer, better building. While the new building was under construction, services were held in a tent. The second building was finished in 1926. It was a red granite stone building that was 60’ X 50’ and had cement floors instead of sawdust. In 1924, Brother Jones was forced to resign his position at the church do to illness. At this time Brother Fred Jackson was elected pastor of the church and stayed at the Elvin’s Church until 1929. He was licensed with The Assemblies of God in 1925 and the church soon became affiliated with the Assemblies. Brother Jackson remained in good standing with the Southern Missouri District Council of the Assemblies of God until his death in 1964. In 1929 Brother Fred Jackson resigned as pastor of Elvin’s Assembly. A man by the name of Brother Crane had been holding revival at the church and was voted in as pastor to replace Brother Jackson. Rev. Crane only served a short time and then resigned. Brother Cockman was then elected to the pastor position. He resigned and Brother Dunn was elected pastor in 1930. In 1929, events half way across the country had a profound effect on the lives of the people St. Francois County, as well as people all across the nation. The stock market crash in October 1929 brought hard times to all the people of the county as well as to the members of the Elvin’s Assembly of God Church. The St. Joe Lead Company, the areas largest employer, suffered as did most businesses across the nation. Those who worked for St. Joe had their working hours greatly reduced. Rather than lay people off, St. Joe and the workers decided to share the available work. A general laborer would make around $22 for each week worked. During the worst part of the depression the workers worked only one week out of four so that all families would have some income. Throughout the entire depression, the Elvin’s Assembly of God Church continued to grow and prosper.
In 1930, under the ministry of Brother Dunn, a parsonage was built at 310 Ethel Street next to the church. This 30’ X 40’ granite stone house served as the parsonage until the late 1960s. After Brother Dunn resigned Brother Butler was elected to fill the pulpit. He was followed by Brother Highfill. His wife Sister Highfill taught the ladies Bible class and was still an active member in 1965. Brother Highfill was followed by Rev. Deguars and he was followed by Rev. Plakes. Rev. Ledbetter followed Rev. Deguars and during his ministry a new building program was started and completed. The church building was remodeled and the single story building was turned into a two-story building. As the years of the Great Depression finally faded away, a new series of events half way around the world would bring new trials for the citizens of the Leadbelt area. On Sunday December 7, 1941, just about the time that the Sunday Morning Service was ending, the United States was plunged into World War II with an attack at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Hundreds of young men from the Elvins area and thousands from St. Francois County either joined immediately or were later drafted to defeat tyranny around the world. Churches all over the county suddenly had an urgency to send prayers of safety toward heaven for the protection of loved ones. Here on the home front, schools and churches did what they could to help the war effort. Scrap metal drives, war bond sales, ration books, and victory gardens gave those on the home front a way to help win the war. Brother Cooper followed the ministry of Brother Ledbetter. Under the direction of Brother Cooper another building project was completed. A three story Sunday School Annex was added onto the rear of the church. Following Brother Cooper were Brother Roberts, and then Brother Gunter. Brother Gunter became ill during his time at Elvin’s Assembly and was called home by God. Upon his death, his wife, Sister Gunter filled the pulpit and was elected as pastor. She served for a short time and then Rev.
Charlie Upchurch was elected pastor. Brother Upchurch had been pasturing in Ironton and felt God leading him to come to Elvin’s Assembly. During Brother Upchurch’s ministry it was decided that the old building should be demolished and a new building should be erected. A lot across the street from the church and parsonage was purchased for $250 and work began immediately. Many members of the church donated their time, labor, and finances to see the new church built. The church was completed in 1963 and the old church was torn down.In 1930, under the ministry of Brother Dunn, a parsonage was built at 310 Ethel Street next to the church. This 30’ X 40’ granite stone house served as the parsonage until the late 1960s. After Brother Dunn resigned Brother Butler was elected to fill the pulpit. He was followed by Brother Highfill. His wife Sister Highfill taught the ladies Bible class and was still an active member in 1965. Brother Highfill was followed by Rev. Deguars and he was followed by Rev. Plakes. Rev. Ledbetter followed Rev. Deguars and during his ministry a new building program was started and completed. The church building was remodeled and the single story building was turned into a two-story building. As the years of the Great Depression finally faded away, a new series of events half way around the world would bring new trials for the citizens of the Leadbelt area. On Sunday December 7, 1941, just about the time that the Sunday Morning Service was ending, the United States was plunged into World War II with an attack at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Hundreds of young men from the Elvins area and thousands from St. Francois County either joined immediately or were later drafted to defeat tyranny around the world. Churches all over the county suddenly had an urgency to send prayers of safety toward heaven for the protection of loved ones. Here on the home front, schools and churches did what they could to help the war effort. Scrap metal drives, war bond sales, ration books, and victory gardens gave those on the home front a way to help win the war.
Brother Cooper followed the ministry of Brother Ledbetter. Under the direction of Brother Cooper another building project was completed. A three story Sunday School Annex was added onto the rear of the church. Following Brother Cooper were Brother Roberts, and then Brother Gunter. Brother Gunter became ill during his time at Elvin’s Assembly and was called home by God. Upon his death, his wife, Sister Gunter filled the pulpit and was elected as pastor. She served for a short time and then Rev. Charlie Upchurch was elected pastor. Brother Upchurch had been pasturing in Ironton and felt God leading him to come to Elvin’s Assembly. During Brother Upchurch’s ministry it was decided that the old building should be demolished and a new building should be erected. A lot across the street from the church and parsonage was purchased for $250 and work began immediately. Many members of the church donated their time, labor, and finances to see the new church built. The church was completed in 1963 and the old church was torn down.
When Brother Upchurch resigned, the church indebtedness on the new church was only $3700.
Rev. Clifton York was elected in September of 1963. He was followed by Brother Joe Miller. A new parsonage was build next to the church during Brother Miller’s ministry at Elvin’s Assembly. During the ministry of Brother Miller, the St. Joe Lead Company began to slowly shut down their lead mining operations in St. Francois County. Foreign competition, a reduction in the demand for lead, and the low grade of ore that was now being mined caused the demise of the lead industry in St Francois County. By the early 1970’s the last of the lead mines closed down. Brother Miller resigned and Brother Lawrence Cook was elected pastor. In July 1983 Rev. Caldwell became pastor. He was followed by Rev. Larry Metz. Brother Metz resigned and left Elvins Assembly in February 1988.
On March 28, 1988, Brother Dwight Jones was elected as pastor of Elvin’s Assembly of God. During the ministry of Brother Jones, the church went through a period of rapid growth. Souls were saved, people were set free, and the Spirit of God flowed. It was during Brother Jones’ ministry that the congregation voted to change the name of the church. It was decided that the name would be changed to Harvest Assembly of God.
During a service in the early years of Brother Jones’ ministry at Harvest, a prophecy came forth from Sister Eaton while she was playing the piano. God had shown her a vision of Harvest Assembly sitting on top of a high hill. She was shown a great white light coming down out of Heaven and landing on the roof of the church. From there the light came through the roof and into the church and then was shot out of the church in all directions around the world. It was from this vision and prophesies that God had told the people of Harvest that he still has a great work for the church to fulfill. Harvest is to be one of the last day churches. A place where an outpouring of the Holy Ghost will fall in a way most have not seen in modern times. Harvest Assembly will be a place where hurting wounded people can come for spiritual healing, where the sick can be healed, and where miracles of all manners take place. Harvest will also be a place where missionaries are called and sent to the four corners of the world with the last day’s message, and more importantly where the lost can find salvation.
In the years that have followed Sister Eaton’s vision, God’s promise to Harvest has been confirmed many times. Each time nearly the same prophesy has come forth in almost exactly the same manner and always from people who have not heard of God’s promise to Harvest Brother Dwight Jones felt God release him to the evangelistic field and resigned in November of 1991. In December 1991, Brother Steve Derby was elected pastor of Harvest Assembly. He filled the pulpit in January 1992 and almost immediately began looking for a location to build a new church. Three acres were purchased from Walter Horton on Highway 32 for the new church. The land lay about 2 miles west of Elvins and was on top of a hill across from Simms Mountain. A construction loan was secured in the amount of $100,000 and construction began. The pastor and members of the congregation began building the church. The church was completed and came in under budget. The old church and parsonage on Ethel Street were sold and the congregation began to worship in the new building. In 1992 the citizens of Elvins, Esther, Flat River and Rivermines voted to consolidate the four towns together. The City of Park Hills was created from the four former communities and came into existence on January 1, 1994.
In June 1994, Rev. Steve Derby resigned and in July 1994 Rev. Dwight Jones returned from the evangelistic field and was once again was elected pastor. During the next few years the church quickly out grew the 250-seat sanctuary that had been built only two years earlier.
Another building program was started to create a larger sanctuary and more Sunday school rooms. Once again the pastor and members of the church began building a larger sanctuary and additional Sunday school rooms. In the years that followed, additional property was purchased behind the church for future expansion.
The church once again began to out grow the building. In 2003 the church began to build a much larger building on the acreage that had been purchased behind the church. The congregation also voted to again change the name of the church. Harvest Assembly of God became Harvest Christian Centre. In 2004, with the help of many dedicated men and women, the new church building was dedicated for the Glory of God. Harvest Christian Centre has come a long way since those early days of sawdust floors.
Truly God is up to something big! Evangelist Tommy Tenney explains the reason for the growth as the favor of the Lord and we whole heartedly agree. Pastor Jones is surrounded by a quality staff and blessed with tremendous support from the team here at Harvest. We moved into our present facility in March of 2004.
It is a beautiful 550 seat auditorium but at the rate of growth that we are experiencing, we are just a little ways from needing to build again. In 2012 Harvest became debt free allowing for more missions giving and community outreach. The vision is bigger than a building and it's more important than a church. God is moving and he is drawing people close. With thousands of un-churched families in St. Francois County we feel it is the heart beat of heaven to reach every one of them with the power of the gospel. There is not a lack of vision from Pastor Jones. As God provides and opens new doors we look to what God has ahead.
Service Times: Sundays 10am & 5pm • Wednesdays 7pm
Harvest Christian Centre • (573) 431-3266
1925 State Highway 32, Park Hills MO, 63601